Mary Ann Harper (cal 1865 - 1932)
Events and attributes
Dudley, Worcestershire, England4,2
To Stanley Wright
St Jude's Parish Church, Tonk Street, Birmingham, England
Notes: Woman's age: 18y
Man's Age: 21y
"St Jude’s, Tonk Street, now Hill Street in the City Centre, was a building of brick designed in Early English style by Orford & Nash, and consisting of a chancel, nave and aisles. It was a Commissioners' church. With a grant by the Commissioners of only £500, the bulk of the finance must have been raised elsewhere.
Building began in 1847, a parish already having been assigned out of those of St Martin's and St Philip's two years previously. Services were held in the National school in Pinfold Street until the church was consecrated in 1851. The church had 1300 sittings, of which 1000 were free. The parish was further enlarged out of St Martin's in 1885 serving a population of some 6000 people.
St Jude’s was the parish church of a district which included Greens Village, The Hinkleys, The Froggery and The Rookeries, districts of the very poorest parts of Birmingham. From the mid-18th to the mid-19th century, this was a notorious slum area off Hill Street of crowded back-to-back houses many occupied by an immigrant Irish population. The living of St Jude’s, only £150, was one of the poorest in the town.
By 1879 the church building, badly in need of care and attention, was renovated. By this time the area had been improved by the demolition of the many rookeries surrounding it as a result of the building and expansion of New Street Station from 1852. The term ‘rookery’ was used colloquially in the 19th century of dilapidated tenements and slum dwellings, the haunts of thieves and crooks." from http://ahistoryofbirminghamchurches.jimdo.com/birmingham-st-martin-in-the-bull-ring/st-jude-hill-street/4
Hill Street, (City Centre), Birmingham, England4
4 September 1883
42, Broadway Street, Burton Extra, Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire, England6
Bradley Street, Stapenhill, Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire, England5
Albert Terrace, Albert Road, Kings Heath, Worcestershire, England1
40, Highbury Road, Kings Heath, Worcestershire, England2
1, Eton Road, Balsall Heath, Birmingham, England3
11 September 1911
19, Gosford Street, Balsall Heath, Birmingham, England12
from 1918 to 1930
49, Gough Road, Greet, Birmingham, England13,11
49, Gough Road, Greet, Birmingham, England10
Selly Oak Hospital, Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak, Birmingham, EnglandCause: I(a) Carcinoma Ventriculi10
- [S16] England, birth certificate (certified copy) for Robert Wright, born 5 January 1896; registered Mar quarter 1896, Kings Norton district 6c/404, Kings Norton Sub-district, Counties of Worcester and Birmingham; General Register Office, Southport.
- [S19] 1901 census of England, Worcester, Kings Norton, Kings Heath, Stanley Wright; digital image, Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.co.uk : accessed 07 September 2016); citing Class: RG13; Piece: 2806; Folio: 118; Page: 38.
- [S34] 1911 census of England, Worcestershire, Balsall Heath, Mrs M. Wright; digital image, Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.co.uk : accessed 20 September 2016); citing Class: RG14; Piece: 17910; Schedule Number: 181.
- [S54] England, marriage certificate (certified copy) for John Stanley Wright & Mary Ann Harper, married 15 April 1883; Birmingham Q2 6d/90, Warwickshire, General Register Office, Southport
- [S56] 1891 census of England, Staffordshire, Burton-upon-Trent, Stapenhill, Stanley Wright; digital image, Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.co.uk : accessed 5 October 2016); citing Class: RG12; Piece: 2199; Folio: 151; Page: 27.
- [S60] England, birth certificate (certified copy) for Stanley Charles Wright, born 5 August 1883; registered Sep quarter 1883, Burton upon Trent district 6b/396, Burton upon Trent Sub-district, Counties of Stafford and Derby; General Register Office, Southport.
- [S98] "Vital Statistics from Government Records (RS141)", database with images, Provincial Archives of New Brunswick (http://archives.gnb.ca/search/VISSE/?culture=en-CA : accessed 21 October 2016), entry for marriage of Frank Leslie WRIGHT 1921; citing Code B4/1921 Microfilm F19679.
- [S100] "Vital Statistics from Government Records (RS141)", database with images, Provincial Archives of New Brunswick (http://archives.gnb.ca/search/VISSE/?culture=en-CA : accessed 21 October 2016), entry for death of Frank Leslie WRIGHT 1961; citing Registration 2421 Volume 248 Microfilm F20876.
- [S134] "Drouin Collection Records", images online, Quebec Records (Drouin Institute) (https://www.genealogiequebec.com: accessed 31 October 2016), marriage at St George's Anglican Church 6 August 1925 between Lewis Alfred William Wheatley and Hettie Wright (image d1p_1146d1087) citing St' George's (Montreal) Parish Registers.
- [S141] England, death certificate (certified copy) for Mary Ann Wright, died 24 March 1932; registered Mar Quarter 1932, Birmingham South district 6d/131, Kings Norton Sub-district, County of Birmingham C.B.; General Register Office, Southport.
- [S97] "Soldiers of the First World War: 1914-1918", database with images, Library and Archives Canada (http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/Pages/canadian-expeditionary-force.aspx : accessed 21 October 2016), entry for Frank Leslie WRIGHT (2100477); citing Library and Archives Canada, RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 10597 - 47 Item Number 323654.
- [S95] British Isles Family History Society of Greater Ottawa (BIFHSGO), "Home Children records, 1869-1932", database, Library and Archives Canada (http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/immigration-records/home-children-1869-1930/immigration-records/Pages/immigration-records.aspx : accessed 20 October 2016), entry for Frank Leslie WRIGHT, applied 11 November 1911, Middlemore Children's Emigration Homes; citing Library and Archives Canada, A-2105, restricted microfilm., MG28 I492, Middlemore Children's Emigration Homes, database number 172103.
- [S9] ancestry.co.uk, Midlands, England, Electoral Registers, 1932-1955. Digital images, Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.co.uk : accessed 30 August 2016) citing Midlands Historical Data. Midlands Electoral Rolls 1832-1955. Midlands Historical Data, Solihull, West Midlands.